CHOLERA: DEVASTATING IN THE EAST OF THE COUNTRY
As a cholera epidemic hit the eastern areas of DRC in 2014, the Antenna Foundation has made available WATA devices to reduce the vulnerability of people in eastern DRC. This led to the strategy of chlorination points along Lake Kivu in Goma and its extension (South Kivu, Katanga, Kinshasa). These chlorine production activities would not only enable communities to take ownership of the practice of household water treatment, but also strengthen household economies.
The 12 health zones where cholera being endemic are located in the provinces of North and South Kivu and Katanga, with more than 50% of the cholera cases recorded in DRC.
With the support of UNICEF, the consortium (Oxfam, Solidarités International and ACF) has committed to the strategy that aims to promote the local production of liquid chlorine “WATA” on a large scale.
To facilitate the production of liquid chlorine as well as its stabilization for long-term use, Oxfam, Solidarités International and ACF under UNICEF’s coordination have proposed to appropriate WATA technology with technical support from MajiMaisha-ANTENNA in capacity building, for the implementation of the project entitled “Community Resumption to Fight Cholera in the East”.
WTH PROGRAM: AN IDEAL TOOL TO ELIMINATE WATERBORNE DISEASES
- Establishment of a synergy of local producers of liquid chlorine who bottle it, in order to contribute effectively to the fight against waterborne diseases, mostly cholera. Ensuring community recovery, strengthening communication and awareness raising for behaviour change and identifying water treatment products in the area.
- Installation of a laboratory for thiosulphate titration analysis to guarantee a quality control of the chlorine produced by the network of local producers.
- A synergy of NaClO producers is set up, the act of commitment to respect the standards of the production of liquid chlorine by WATA in DRC is signed and the household water treatment approach by the communities is adopted by the network’s members.
- A laboratory with analytical capacity for thiosulphate titration is operational for quality control.
Nombre de bénéficiaires
- Programme « TED » : environ 2 105 175 personnes
- Solidarités International
Contact with Antenna – Geneva
Coordinator and focal point Antenna Technologies in DRC